On December 19, 2015, CBSDFW reported that a man was struck and killed by a DART train near downtown Dallas. The accident happened at approximately 4:30 pm at 800 Pacific Ave. According to witnesses, the man was walking and not paying attention to where he was going. He then walked into the side of the DART train as it was pulling out of the West End Station. Service was shut down temporarily to complete an investigation and was resumed a few hours later. While we still don’t know a lot about the man who was killed, we do know that he was not giving the sidewalk in front of him the attention it deserves. His death serves as a grizzly reminder that, even as pedestrians, we need to be aware and ready to react to changing circumstances.
What to Do in a Pedestrian Accident
If you are involved in a pedestrian accident, there are a few things you need to do to ensure that you remain as safe as possible. Any of these steps can apply if you are hit by a car, witness to a car hitting a pedestrian, or hit someone with your vehicle.
- Stop and if you can, move to the side of the road.
- If someone is injured, do not move him or her unless they are in immediate danger of injury.
- Call 911 for medical assistance.
- Block the road and put up flares to notify other drivers of the accident.
- Remain calm and wait for emergency personnel to arrive.
- Take pictures of the scene with your cell phone.
- Gather contact information of people on the scene.
- Contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible.